- Security Camera systems (Duh,…right?). Listen, security camera systems used to be complicated and expensive, but new companies have created solutions that are very simple, and use the internet to essential “plug and play.” Many of these systems also tie into alerts on your mobile device and are even combined with outdoor motion lighting. As a business owner (or homeowner) you can see what’s going on, deter folks from even testing your door, and with many features out there, possibly turn on lights or a speaker to talk to those creeping near your facility. Burglars of all kinds won’t want anything to do with that.
- Increase the quality of lighting around your garage door. Okay, here’s another one that doesn’t have anything to do with garage door technology, but just good old-fashioned visibility. Well-lit areas are always more secure at night---and if you’ve got cameras, like we talked about in step one, a burglar is really putting themselves at risk for being identified. It’s recommended that you position lights around the perimeter of your facility, but especially directly over entry ways and garage doors.
- Make sure you upgrade to a rolling-code garage door opener. To explain further, garage door openers used to use the same transmitted code for all doors across the brand---not very secure for each individual, then they made the security better by allowing you to set a custom code. Burglars then created code-grabber technology that can read the signal you put out when you use your garage door opener remote and imitate it. NOW, we have the technology to SQUASH that problem, and it’s called “rolling-code technology,” which broadcasts a different signal each time you open the door. If your door opener was installed before 1999, it’s possible that you’re dealing with old technology, and maybe you should give Specialty Door a call for an upgraded system for your safety.
- Never leave garage door remotes in your car----invest in a garage door opener that attaches to your keychain. This is the same for home or business. It sure is convenient to “hit the button” as you roll up to the door in your vehicle, but if you leave them in your car outside, it’s a free entry to your home or business. Instead, step up and get ones that go on your key chain. This gives you all the same convenience, but makes you more secure, since you likely keep your keep with you or inside the home or facility where they are safe.
- Schedule your regular door inspections. Here’s where we can definitely help you. Hey, you need your door inspected for safety and wear regularly anyhow. Security is another reason to get your door looked at by a pro every so often. Commercial doors get more daily use than residential garage doors, and that use can cause wear, plus small bumps and dents can cause gaps that are scary for safety AND security reasons. Let’s keep your garage door a strong part of the security system. Remember: a broken door means NO security for your home or business.
- Padlock the door. So, it’s not the most CONVENIENT option for safety, but for businesses during hours you are closed, and for homeowners that will be away from home a while, you may want to simply use a padlock. Some home garage doors also have a slide metal lock. Either way, these low-tech options make sure that NO TRICKS can be pulled on your automatic openers, and if the lock is on the inside, it makes tamper with the lock itself virtually impossible.
BONUS TIP: If you own a business that currently has a fenced off parking lot, consider adding a security gate. Specialty Door installs and maintains rolling security gates, which can keep intruders off of your facility grounds altogether. Storage facilities, residential gated communities, and government facilities use these security gates and systems to great affect, and keeps burglars even farther away from your building entrances and property.
There are many options for your home or business when it comes to garage door products and many wonderful companies that provide complete lines of doors, openers, security measures, gates, and more. It’s great to head to one of the company sites, like Raynor or Northwest Door (two of the main companies we work with) and examine all of the products that could suit the needs of your home or business. We must be clear though, that ultimately these companies recommend your work with a local dealer to ensure that the products are explained, installed, and maintained correctly. Specialty Door is ready to help you face to face, for the benefit of our customers (you!), the manufacturers, and our experts that work hard for you.
- Knowing All Of The Options – This day and age, there is PLENTY of information online for you to peruse on any subject. That doesn’t always mean that you see ALL of the options and customizations for your home or situation. A trained local dealer gets info and training on the latest innovations that can help in big way if you’re not sure if a door or opener fits your situation and need. An average homeowner or business owner may not know what things can be altered or customized, and/or what cannot be selected without a change in your building structure.
- Getting Your Product Order Correctly Sent – It may sound simple with all of the online ordering we do these days, but having an experienced garage door installer to “hold your hand” and walk you through your complete order can save you a ton of hassle. Once you’ve made your decision on what you want, we can help with any accessories that may be needed for the install and if anything goes wrong, the issues can be cleared up more quickly and completely.
- Proper Door Sizing and Measurements – Yes, most folks can operate a tape measure, but working with these doors and standard sizes every day can make a difference. Also, we’ll be able to advise when a custom order may be required for your situation.
- Alternative Products – Many companies offer similar products, and we can provide you with ANY product our there. In some situations, you may have picked out a product from one line, on a particular company’s website. The truth is that a similar technology from a different company can actually be a slightly better fit or a better cost-savings to you. This is expert knowledge that can make you that much happier with your install.
- Installation Peace of Mind – We mentioned options and measurement, but that all goes into the MAIN idea, which is that you get a great product and an installation that you can trust will work and BE SAFE. We will make sure to examine the planned tracks and rails to make sure the door will function properly BEFORE we order, but we’ll also be there to make sure the finished product is working the way you had imagined. It SAVES YOU NOTHING to get a great deal on a door, or opener, or other product, only to have it function incorrectly or have it break down. Remember, we’re also a garage door repair company, so our focus will be on keeping you clear of repair situations that are common with mis-installed or under-maintained doors.
- Continued Maintenance – That last point bring into focus this point we’d like to make about how your door functions for the LONG HAUL. Specialty Door Service wants to help maintain your door, so that problems are avoided and repairs are kept to a minimum in cost and in frequency. Once your door is installed, we don’t disappear like a general handyman installer for a big-box store might. We remain available to assist you over time to make sure you’re getting all the satisfaction out of your system that you had hoped to gain. This is especially important for our business/commercial customers, but also our hard-working homeowners, who expect a safe and reliable system for their families.
A safe, attractive, functioning garage door can add greatly to your home’s overall value and provides a significant return on any replacement or maintenance investment. Along the same lines a malfunctioning door does not only present safety hazards but could become a detraction for your house. Have you been wondering if it is time to replace your older garage door with a newer model? When you own a home with an aged door it may not be clear as to when it becomes necessary to replace it- so we have listed a five signs below that indicate it may be time for a newer model.
1) Your garage door brakes down regularly. When your garage door becomes unreliable and you have to repeatedly make service calls it may be time to get a new door. As the door ages and wares, just like a car or other electronics, parts breakdown and need to be replaced—but when you notice that this happens frequently you will save yourself money in the long run by replacing the whole unit.
2) The door is functioning slowly or hesitates. Your door is set up to start functioning as soon as you hit the button- a slow response time usually means a problem with the door system. In addition if the door functions unreliably or if it suddenly goes down then it can create a dangerous situation that can lead to injury.
3) You notice that the door is making extra noises or shakes as it goes up or down. The garage door for your residence is meant to run smoothly, efficiently and quietly and if that is not happening then something is wrong.
4) You are ready to update your door’s safety or energy efficiency. Modern garage doors have used the latest safety measures to protect against possible dangers and also maintain the security of your home. Later model garage doors are also well insulated and are designed to effectively keep out the weather.
5) The garage door looks unattractive or has damage. The look of a garage door in conjunction to the house can really add or detract from your property value. If your door looks dated or is detracting from your homes style or appeal you may want to look at replacing the door. Also if you notice damage to the door or broken parts or wires you may be looking at a security risk that you will want to get taken care of promptly.
Still have questions about your garage door? Just give Specialty Door a call; we are the local (Seattle, Everett, Bellevue areas) experts – proud to be locally owned and family operated since 1987. We know the area and its garage doors; with 7 days a week, 24 hour service we are ready to help you out today.